Saturday, February 03, 2007

Pay Dirt: "Is Religion 'Built Upon Lies'?"


The following is the first of several blog entries I will post from a "no-holds-barred blog debate between Sam Harris and Andrew Sullivan (courtesy of Beliefnet.com). I hope you enjoy:

Is Religion 'Built Upon Lies'?
Best-selling atheist Sam Harris and pro-religion blogger Andrew Sullivan debate God, faith, and fundamentalism.

Hi Andrew--

First, I'd like to say that it is a pleasure to communicate with you in this forum. We've engaged one another indirectly on the internet, and on the radio, but I think this email exchange will give us our first opportunity for a proper discussion. Before I drive toward areas where I think you and I will disagree, I'd first like to acknowledge what appears to be the common ground between us.

I think you and I agree that there is a problem with religious fundamentalism. We might not agree about how to solve this problem, or about how fundamentalism relates to religion as a whole, but we both think that far too many people currently imagine that one of their books contains the perfect word of the Creator of the universe. You and I also agree that the world's major religions differ in ways that are nontrivial—and, therefore, that not all fundamentalists have the same fundamentals in hand. Not all religions teach precisely the same thing, and when they do teach the same thing, they don't necessarily teach it equally well.
We are both especially concerned about Islam at this moment--because so many Muslims appear to be "fundamentalists" and because some of the fundamentals of Islam pose special liabilities in a world overflowing with destructive technology. I think, for instance, that we would both rank the Islamic doctrines of martyrdom and jihad pretty high on our list of humanity's worst ideas.

Where I think we disagree is on the nature of faith itself. I think that faith is, in principle, in conflict with reason (and, therefore, that religion is necessarily in conflict with science), while you do not. Perhaps I should acknowledge at the outset that people use the term "faith" in a variety of ways. My use of the word is meant to capture belief in specific religious propositions without sufficient evidence—prayer can heal the sick, there is a supreme Being listening to our thoughts, we will be reunited with our loved ones after death, etc. I am not criticizing faith as a positive attitude in the face of uncertainty, of the sort indicated by phrases like, "have faith in yourself." There’s nothing wrong with that type of "faith."

Given my view of faith, I think that religious "moderation" is basically an elaborate exercise in self-deception, while you seem to think it is a legitimate and intellectually defensible alternative to fundamentalism.

Assuming I've got that about right, I propose that in my next post, I launch into a brief diatribe about religious moderation, and then you can respond any way you see fit. If I have misconstrued any of your views above, please sort things out for me.

All the best,
Sam

**************
Dear Sam,

First off, same back at you. I found your book, "The End of Faith" to be an intellectual tonic, even when I strongly disagreed with it. It said things that needed to be said - not least because many people were already thinking them - and it said them without cant or bullshit. I was and am grateful for that. And I wrote the religious passages of my own book, "The Conservative Soul," with some of your arguments in mind.
We agree that Islamic fundamentalism is by far the gravest threat in this respect (because of its comfort with violence); and that the core feature of what occurred on 9/11 was not cultural, political, or economic - but religious. We agree that a large part of the murder and mayhem in today's Iraq is also rooted in religious difference, specifically the ancient rift between Sunni and Shia. We also agree, I think, that the degeneration of American Christianity into the crudest forms of Biblical inerrantism, emotional hysteria and cultural paranoia is a lamentable development. But we differ, I think, on why we find these developments discouraging.

The reason I find fundamentalism so troubling - whether it is Christian, Jewish or Muslim - is not just its willingness to use violence (in the Islamist manifestation). It is its inability to integrate doubt into faith, its resistance to human reason, its tendency to pride and exclusion, and its inability to accept mystery as the core reality of any religious life. You find it troubling, I think, purely because it upholds truths that cannot be proved empirically or even, in some respects, logically. In that sense, of course, I think you have no reason to dislike or oppose it any more than you would oppose my kind of faith. Your argument allows for no solid distinctions within faiths; my argument depends on such distinctions.

I'm struck, in other words, by the difference between Christianity as it can be and Christianity as it is expressed by fundamentalists. You are struck by the similarity between my doubt-filled, sacramental, faith-in-forgiveness and fundamentalism. We Christians are all as nutty as one another, I think you'd say. And my prettifying up religion as something not-so-crazy or unreasonable therefore may be more irritating to you than even the profundities of Rick Warren or Monsignor Escriva. At least, that's where I predict you will aim your next rhetorical fire. I'm braced.

Here's the nub, I think. You write:

I think that faith is, in principle, in conflict with reason (and, therefore, that religion is necessarily in conflict with science), while you do not.

Agreed. As the Pope said last year, I believe that God is truth and truth is, by definition, reasonable. Science cannot disprove true faith; because true faith rests on the truth; and science cannot be in ultimate conflict with the truth. So I am perfectly happy to believe in evolution, for example, as the most powerful theory yet devised explaining human history and pre-history. I have no fear of what science will tell us about the universe - since God is definitionally the Creator of such a universe; and the meaning of the universe cannot be in conflict with its Creator. I do not, in other words, see reason as somehow in conflict with faith - since both are reconciled by a Truth that may yet be beyond our understanding.

But just because that Truth may be beyond our human understanding does not mean it is therefore in a cosmic sense unreasonable. As John's Gospel proclaims, in the beginning was the Word - logos - and it is reasonable. At some point faith has to abandon reason for mystery - but that does not mean - and need never mean - abandoning reason altogether. They key is with Pascal: "l'usage et soumission de la raison." Or do you believe that Pascal, one of the great mathematicians of his time, was deluded into the faith he so passionately and simultaneously held?

Cheers,
Andrew

9 comments:

Free thinker said...

In their own way, both of these fine gentleman are full of shit.

Harris is the hard-nosed atheist who believes all faith to be untruth. Harris can not prove or disprove any religion as such but says faith in general is bad because of the conflict faith has with reason.

While Sullivan is delusional in accepting a partial faith in a religion (for him christianity) to be truth, he also postulates that because he knows there is a GOD (although he cannot prove it) he knows truth.

In my estimation, both men think they know "the truth", but in reality neither do. However, I must say that Sullivan is just twisting words around to be some of the fanciest bullshit I have read.

On my full of crap meter:
Harris gets 3 out of 5 turds.
Sullivan gets 6 out of 5 turds.

Cheers

Cold Molasses said...

Interesting FT...you should continue with your comment...what is "the truth" from your perspective?

Free thinker said...

Excellent question CM!

I am of the belief that there is no truth in reality. Some would even say there is no truth in what we can prove by our senses. Those who say they know the truth are only deceiving themselves and often in a religious context, these "truth knowers" try to push their version of truth on others.

On the shit-o-meter scale:
Truth gets a 5 out of 5 turds.

Cold Molasses said...

I understand your point now. I don't disagree that sometimes people delude themselves into thinking they know "the truth" and in many cases, they can't know for certain. However, I stand by my conviction that you should know what YOU believe and be able to justify it...just don't be so CERTAIN about it that you come across as being "full of shit" in your words.

Anonymous said...

Interesting series of posts and commentaries by free thinker and you, c.m.

I agree with free thinker with this qualification: if there IS in fact a truth, an absolute truth, then I don't believe that we can really be made aware of it.

I would add that to suggest that there are (spiritual) truths to be found by mere humans completely negates the foundation that faith, by its very definition, is built upon. We simply haven't the tools.

And while there may BE something called "truth in reality," my doubt is that any of us are capable of discerning it.

We certainly want to believe that we are though!

Whatever "truths" we may think we have discovered, however, must be communicated to others in ways that are subject to any number of vague interpretations.
Language as well as any attempt to relate a transcendent experience to someone else is shaky at best.

I like Harris, though, because he is bringing in a view that I - who consider myself a good guy because I practice tolerance - had never before considered the potential damage caused by taking the moderate road to tolerance for all belief structures regardless of the "reason" applicable to their dogma.

But when Harris insists on criticising the conflict between faith and reason, I think he minimizes the point that faith, by its very definition, neither asks for nor expects rational proof.

It is necessarily, then, anti-reason, isn't it?

Sort of a-rational, if you will. Thus, in philosophical considerations, the two may be incompatible points of discussion.

Now, all this being said, seeking the truth -- that is another matter altogether. But the search must be done in a way that is non-interfering with others' pursuits of their truth as well.

As free thinker points out, here is where the real danger lies...when some who believe that they have the truth insist upon imposing it upon others. Christians as well as others are notorious for possessing a generous helping of missionary/evangelical zeal.

I haven't stopped by your site for a while. But whenever I do, there is always something interesting afoot.

Thanks for the consistent, thought-provoking information.

Cold Molasses said...

Thanks Anonymous. As I said to FT, I stand by my conviction that you should still know what YOU believe and be able to justify it (hopefully with some logical thought as opposed to just with a "that's what I believe just because"). And don't be so CERTAIN about what you believe that you dismiss other points of view as obviously incorrect - like the typical "missionary" approach you refer to.

Do you agree?

Anonymous said...

You ask if I agree.
Yes.
And no.

I answer this way in reference to your question about being able to support what you believe logically.

Here is why: While I may be against some kind of tribal sacrificing of first born children on the grounds that it is not only inhumane but also ilLOGICAL, I do not think that any belief that presents itself as, by nature, TRANSCENDENT can be explained logically.

It is not characteristic of faith to be explained. It's downright contradictory!

If the thing CAN BE explained, the whole concept of transcendence goes down the tube.
And most religions (in my limited knowledge of them) seem to operate on the necessity of transcendence.
As soon as you can PROVE that there are seven hundred virgins (or whatever) waiting for you in heaven....you have no need to SHOW that you have faith enough, and that you believe strongly enough to give your life on the wager.

I recall (somewhere - sorry, my facts are mushy and I know that's not good) but somewhere (probably in your blog) where Harris said that science is our new religion...or that it would open the door to a new religion. In other words, we have to stop thinking of religion in terms of old dogma. In fact in light of new information readily available to us, it is impossible to do so. We must examine it as a purely human experience in terms that we can understand - to find some common ground among us. t

Harris further noted that our insistence that we have had transcendent experiences cannot be merely explained away by discussion of neurons and brain synapses (though it has been shown that people who are more "spiritual" tend to have an area in the brain that is more stimulated than others who are less spiritually inclined.

I see it as a mystery, Cold Molasses...it's as simple as that. And, as a human with limited powers, I am contented with the search...rather than the answer. I think this is a somewhat odd stand - and certainly odd for the radical fringe and fundamnetalists - as you have repeatedly shown on your blog. If you (or anyone) are pursuing answers for your own sake, that is one thing...one good thing, I think, though it may drive you mad in the process if you focus too much on finding a satisfactory and solidly reasoned answer.

Buy the search itself is admirable and I think desireable. What is the alternative, after all? Indifference?

We (or I anyway) have to have some kind of guiding light to our lives...whether it is to live for our children or our country (hopefully NOT) or simply for the rough-hewn physical pleasures that exist for us all to submerge ourselves in in corporeal oblivion.

The problem (for me) is the same as it is for you, I think...and that is our dislike of the tyranny that occurs when you see the Creed of One Who Is Certain becoming the Dictated Creed for the masses.

There are, on the other hand, many things that I think I "know" (that is I hold them as true) "just because."

Where do these thoughts or "glimmerings" stem from? It is truly a sense of something greater or of being "one" with something larger than I am.

Is this purely biological? physical? psychological? neurosis?

As Harris said, when noting that brain research has shown remarkable biological things that might explain our sense of something transcendent, our belief that a still small voice is addressing us directly...yes, biological explains this. But can it reckon the source of the sensation?

If we are MERELY (remarkable though our system is) biological beings. . . I have to admit, I'm depressed!

However, others may not be.

I think I have veered off topic just a tad here, Cold Molasses.

But once a person gets into the transcendent...no telling where you might end up, right?

How's that elaborate list of New Year's Resolutions coming along, by the way?
I made one myself. Just so I could break it.
I'm only HUMAN, after all!

Thanks for the response.

Cold Molasses said...

Wow Anonymous...great response. I enjoy your comments as much as writing my own blog entries!

Do you have your own blog? If so, care to share? I'd love to read more of your musings.

Anonymous said...

Nope.
No blog. Thanks for the confidence in me though!

There's something about writing to an audience that doesn't appeal much to me. Not sure why.
Love to read you though and to see how your ideas evolve from blog to blog. I read very few blogs. Yours is one I return to though.
I like the style.
Keep 'em coming!