Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Pay Dirt: A Heretic's Guide to Eternity


From the Foreward to A Heretic's Guide to Eternity:

"Someone recently sent me one of those clever top-ten lists that you always see floating around the Internet. It was entitled, "Top Ten Reasons Beer is Better than Religion." My favorite five out of the top ten are:
  1. No one will kill you for not drinking Beer.
  2. Beer has never caused a major war.
  3. Nobody's ever been burned at the stake, hanged or tortured over his brand of Beer.
  4. You don't have to wait 2000+ years for a second Beer.
  5. There are laws saying Beer labels can't lie to you.

Now I'm not advertising beer, but I am advertising that we who have a sincere faith in God realize that there are a number of downsides to religion...some of which are implied by the humorous beer list. There's a grim historical track record of religious inebriation that, like drunk driving, has taken or ruined too many lives already."

1 comment:

Cipriano said...

Oh, so good.
So many things about religion would make more sense if those talking about it would just sit down and have a few beers together. I am sounding flippant, but really being deadly serious.
And the title of that book, I am positively enamored with it.
I MUST HAVE IT!
Yours is [in my opinion] the best blog on the internet concerning Renaissance/Heretical Christianity.
KEEP UP THE PSEUDO-FAITH!