Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Way


Okay, so I grew up with a "Jesus is the only way" understanding in terms of the path to God. That's it. No compromise, no if's, and's or but's...Jesus is the way. Take it or leave it. Any other way is the wrong way.

Interesting! What were we thinking (or not)??? The whole notion that God has decided to be known through only one religion is somewhat strange in itself, when one thinks about it. But, fortunately, we (in my case, the Christians) were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to be taught that one way. What about all the others throughout the world who were brought up Hindu or Buddhist or another major religion? Well, too bad for them, right?

Here's an interesting scenario to think through. If you were brought up Christian, think about your experience of coming to know about Christianity. It was more than likely taught to you as truth and you accepted it as such. And did you believe the other religions were also the truth? If you are like many, probably not. But what if you happened to be born on a different continent and were brought up as a Buddhist? Do you think it would have been taught to you as truth and you would have accepted it? Would you believe that other religions were the truth? Similarly, probably not.

And depending on your religious upbringing, it might get even more complicated (or convoluted). I'll stick with Christianity (since that's my background). If you were born a Protestant Christian, you likely thought that the Roman Catholics and Orthodox Christians also had it "wrong" to some degree. Not as bad as those from other religions than Christianity, but somewhat wrong nonetheless. And let's say you were raised Pentecostal (or United or Anglican, etc.), you probabaly thought that those other Protestant denominations had it slightly wrong as well. Again, not as bad as the Roman Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, and so on, but still, they didn't have it all right like your denomination did.

Hmmm...isn't that convenient. You just happened to be raised up and taught the exact right teachings about the one pathway to God. Whew!!! What luck...otherwise, you'd be finished. What's that? Your one slice of the religious pie is just a small proportion of the overall religious landscape? Well, again, all the more lucky for you right?

Okay, you get my point. So what do I believe about pathways to God?

(1) The enduring world religions are mediators of the absolute (the sacred) but, like Christianity, are not absolute in themselves.

(2) Christianity, as one of the world's great religious traditions (and my personal religion), is my pathway to God.

By extension, though, this doesn't make each religion the same. Marcus Borg notes the following similarities in his book The Heart of Christianity (1):
  • They all affirm "the more", "the sacred", etc.
  • They all affirm a path of transformation of the self.
  • They all provide practical means for undertaking "the path" or "the way" of transformation.
  • They extol compassion as a primary ethical value of life.
  • They contain a collection of beliefs and teachings.

It is often the last point noted above where the religions are most different - in their specific stories and beliefs, largely driven by the cultures and histories that shaped them.

As a Christian, than, how do we deal with the exclusive language often referenced by fellow Christians? The most famous 'exclusive' reference is "I am the way and the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6). A few thoughts on this:

  • This verse is found in John - the last gospel to be written. This "I am" language isn't found in the other gospels, and is thought by many to be more of an interpretation of the early Christian community than the words of Jesus.
  • What is "the way" being referred to? The way is the path of death and resurrection - dying to an old identity and being born into a new identity...a personal transformation. "The way" is not a set of beliefs about Jesus..."as if one enters into new life by believing certain things to be true or as if only those who know the word "Jesus" can be saved. Thinking that way virtually amounts to salvation by syllables." (1) Rather, for us, as Christians, "the way" is represented in Jesus - Jesus is "the way" for us...even though not the only expression of the way.
  • This verse should be seen as being written in the language of devotion. As Christians, Jesus is our "way". As such, written as it is, it represents the language of devotion of the early Christian community. It doesn't have to be interpreted as exclusive language.
  • Finally, the historical setting within which this verse was written was "a situation of bitter conflict in which John's community of Christian Jews was experiencing sharp social ostracism from non-Christian Jews. As a result, some of John's community would have been tempted to return to their community of origin. So when John wrote these words, he was thinking not of all the religions of the world, but of the synagogue across the street. He was saying, in effect, 'Stay within the community of Jesus. Don't go back to the way you left behind. Jesus is the way; that way isn't.' " (2)

So in summary, for us, as Christians:

(3) Jesus is "the way". He is the disclosure of what a life full of God looks like. This is who Jesus is for us...and we can say this without saying that God is known only in Jesus.

POSTSCRIPT: ON REFLECTION (3 YEARS LATER), MY VIEWS HAVE CHANGED A LITTLE ON THIS ONE...BUT NOT DRASTICALLY. I WOULD PUT LESS EMPHASIS ON CHRISTIANITY BEING MY PATHWAY TO "GOD"...I AM MORE OPEN TO WHATEVER WISDOM WRITINGS HELP ME EVOLVE IN MY HUMANITY AS OPPOSED TO BEING SO CLOSELY WEDDED TO CHRISTIANITY. ALSO, I WOULD TEMPER MY COMMENTS ON HOW ALL THE MAJOR RELIGIONS PROVIDE A PATH OF TRANSFORMATION, ETC. - I THINK SOME DO, BUT OTHERS HAVE SUCH FUNDAMENTALIST TENDENCIES, THAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY MORE DAMAGING THAN NOT.

Notes:

(1) Marcus J. Borg, The Heart of Christianity (San Francisco, HarperSanFrancisco, 2003).

(2) Marcus J. Borg, Reading the Bible Again for the First Time (San Francisco, HarperSanFrancisco, 2001).

5 comments:

Rich Tatum said...

Interesting thoughts and observations. Perhaps I am an inattentive and poor reader, but I came away uncertain whether you actually believe Christ is the only way God proscribes, or not.

Probably me.

Rich.
BlogRodent

Cold Molasses said...

Thanks for your comment Rich. I think you must have missed something...my perspective would be that Jesus is "the way" for Christians. That is, he is the disclosure of what a life full of God looks like for US. But this viewpoint doesn't suggest that Jesus is the ONLY way to God.

Even your phrase "God prescribes" suggests a different viewpoint than I am trying to get across...see my "My More Than God" for more on that.

Cipriano said...

Cold Mol:
Your site is one of the best things on the internet.
This current posting reminds me of something that is so relevant, that whole exclusive claim of Christianity.
Acts 4:12, and all of that.
The third of my own "Pillars" and perhaps [in some ways] the most important of them all.
You [possibly] empower me here to write of my own thoughts on this, in greater elaboration than ever before.
Thing is, I have a Muslim friend [co-worker] and it is no different. I asked him a few simple questions the other day and literally STUNNED him. He had never ever given any thought as to how exclusivistic [<--is that word?] his own beliefs are!
People are not thinking of it!
They are not putting two and two together.
And if they ever do so, in the fleeting moments when they somehow do so, they are not coming up with an answer of "four."
They are staying with the mathematical improbability of an untenable answer!
They are [there is no other way to say it] not being honest with themselves.
They are [there is no better analogy] being ostriches about it. "If I continue to cram my head in the sand, I will no longer see or hear the reality of my willful ignorance."
I myself, tried to explain the gist of this current blog of yours, to my own family, last Christmas.
It was a terrible experience.
It ended in a living room full of heads in the sand.
Since I was the only one above ground in that moment, I made my way over to the microwave, and made some popcorn, and watched a movie.

Anonymous said...

OK, what I am still having trouble grasping is the relevance of Jesus to Christians who do not believe he is "the way". If you do not believe Jesus was; born of a virgin, was god incarnate, died for the sins of the world, and resuurected on the third day, then what is the point in calling yourself a christian? I'm just asking cause I just don't see it anymore. In fact, don't you think that that is ripping off the "christinas who believe the whole literal schpiel?

Can you elaborate?

Thanks

Cold Molasses said...

Thanks for your comment Anonymous.

It’s hard to address it succinctly and I’m wondering if you have read all of my previous blog entries or just “The Way”? In any event, here are some thoughts in response:

- Your first point implied that I didn’t believe Jesus is “the way”. I think I clearly stated that, FOR CHRISTIANS, Jesus is “the way”.

- Your second point covered so much ground, it is impossible to respond. However, if you read my “Jesus, ‘My God’, man!” blog entry I think I address all of your points.

- Your last point essentially asks whether my thoughts on Christianity are “ripping off Christians who believe the whole literal schpiel”. My answer would be an emphatic “No!”. The premise of your question is that the whole “schpiel” was meant to be taken literally. I would suggest this isn’t the right starting point (see my “Bible Beliefs” blog entry for some thoughts on this as well as some examples of areas that “Christians” tend to dismiss as opposed to accepting literally). In fact, I would hope that my thinking is helpful to many Christians who see God through Jesus but for whom the “whole literal schpiel” doesn’t work, and has, in fact, extremely unpersuasive and pushes them away.

- Finally, I’m sure you are aware that throughout the centuries since Jesus, there have been many beliefs within Christianity that have changed and evolved, and many beliefs continue to be different within the various forms of Christianity today.

Having said all the above, it is unfortunate that such divisions in beliefs exist, but that is reality. Overall, I would say to you that if the “whole literal schpiel” works for you, nourishes you, fills you with compassion and a passion for justice, and allows you to experience God, that’s awesome! Don’t change a thing (although I’d suggest you don’t try to enforce your views on others as “certainty” – while you may believe them wholeheartedly, “certainty” is not something anyone can claim on this topic).

The challenge is that, for millions, the “whole literal schpiel” doesn’t work and has, in fact, become a stumbling block. That is why I embarked on this prospecting journey and will continue.

I hope you keep reading and get some benefit from this blog.