Monday, August 14, 2006

"Fundamentals" Framework


Background
I had initially envisioned this blog entry to lay out my own version of "The Fundamentals" in summary form. That is, I intended to document a series of concise statements which outlined my current beliefs across a variety of topic areas.

While this may sound like a simple feat, I would suggest that it is challenging, complex and at times daunting. So as I pondered this blog entry, I concluded that since my future blog entries are largely intended to expand on each of the "fundamentals" that were to be summarized here, I would likely end up wanting to change or revise the "fundamentals" in this blog entry as I work through the future entries.

So...I've changed my mind about the content of this blog entry. Instead of providing the specific fundamental statements themselves, I am going to provide the framework that I envision using to develop my "fundamentals". The framework will attempt to outline the topic areas and types of questions that I will address with "fundamentals" statements and that I will expand upon in future blog entries.

You will note that my framework is based on a Christian perspective. This bias, however, should not be interpreted as a criticism or snubbing of other religions. The fact is...I am a Christian...I have been one all my life, and consider myself to still be one (although one with different views then I have held previously). So I make no apologies for my "fundamentals" framework having that slant...that is a part of who I am (for more on my background see the "My Starting Point" entry previously in this blog).

As I complete future blog entries, I will return to a summary blog entry (see the "My Fundamental Beliefs - Summary" in the next blog entry) to update the framework with the actual statements along with a link to the blog entry which expands upon my thinking. Eventually, then, there will be a summary of my fundamental belief statements in one blog entry.

Confusing enough for everyone? Okay then...now onto my "fundamentals" framework...

Fundamentals Framework
The topics I intend to address include the following:

  • The Bible - Is the Bible the very "word of God"? How should it be read and interpreted? What is its purpose?
  • God - Is there a God? If so, what is the essence of God? What is his relationship with humankind? What is the nature of God?
  • Jesus - What was his mission and message? Why was he killed and was he "raised from the dead"? Was he born of a virgin? Was he divine (i.e. the Son of God)?
  • Pathways to God - Is there an exclusive path to God? How does one deal with the exclusive language sometimes attached to Christianity? If there are multiple pathways to God, are all religions essentially the same?
  • Faith - How much should faith be a driver in forming one's beliefs?
  • Sin, Salvation and the Afterlife - What is "sin"? Is there such a thing as "salvation" and, if so, what does it refer to and how do we achieve it? Will Jesus "come again"? Is there an afterlife?
  • Prayer - What is prayer? Why pray? Does God answer prayer?
  • Christian Routines - What is the purpose of the various Christian routines (e.g. going to church, worship, community service, daily "devotions" such as prayer and reading the Bible)? Are they requirements for Christians?
  • Christian Life Focus - What is the essential focus of being a "Christian"? Why be a Christian?
Other Topics of Interest
In addition to future blog entries on the above "fundamentals", there are other topics that are of interest to me and which I intend to address (I will likely scatter these types of topics into the blog as I feel inspired).

If I find interesting nuggets (e.g. quotes, links, cartoons, stories, etc.), I'll post them under the caption "Pay Dirt"...in keeping with my prospecting theme.

I am sure this framework will need to evolve throughout the life of this blog, but for now, this is my envisioned path. Now, I just need to decide where to start. Hmmm....

No comments: